Anyone new to business on the web will soon find themselves asking “What are analytics?”. All sites should measure web site visitors, web analytics is the process of measuring not only who visits, but where they came from, what they did on the web site and where did they leave from.
Common Analytic Terms
– How the visitor reached the page
– A visit that started with typing in the URL
– A visit the started with a link to your site clicked on another site
– A visitor as a result of a link click on a search engine.
– A visit generated by a click on an ad on a web page of search engine.
– A visit form a customer for the first time.
– someone who has visited the site before from the same computer.
– how many tomes a page was served to visitors.
– The % of people who only visited that page on the web site and then left.
– An action on a website – a button clicked, a page visited, a form completed.
Server Logs – Most web hosts will allow you access to the logs for the server your site is hosted on. This is usually raw data, meaning that it will have no filters or analysis done to the data. It will tell you every action the server has taken including requests for your web pages, where they have come from and the data sent out. Usually you will need to put this data into a spreadsheet or analytics program to get useful data.
Another way to measure site visitors is to use Google Analytics which is a free service. By installing code onto each page of your website Google can analyze the traffic to your site. The service will look at where your customers from geographically. It will also look at the source of the traffic, did they arrive from a URL written into a browser, from a search term or and advert. It will also tell you which pages they visited and the path they took through the site and when they left and what they do on your site and how your site has performed.
There are other analysis program that can monitor not only the actions on your web site but also integrate other marketing activity such as email marketing and phone response.Most usually charge by the amount of activity on your site or number of emails sent.
You can also look at online sites such as Alexa or MyIP to see if your site is busy enough to be ranked by them. They will rank between the 1 million and 3 million busiest sites. They also allow you can to see traffic trends over time.
All site owners should register their sites with Google webmaster tools and Bing webmaster tools